Be a part of building a community for alternative art. Create your culture in Napa!
See How it Works for membership information.
What We Do: Good question, glad you asked. Essentially, we are a gang of artists and arts advocates devising schemes to create a hub for alternative arts and culture in the Napa Valley. We share resources, spread information, promote the arts scene, and host a network of local artists and creative groups. We won't do the work for you but we'll help you find out what you need to know.
Why do this? Well, we think that Napa is a great place to live and grow-up but, culturally, we've also been known as the town from Footloose - ya know, we just want to dance (yes, literally as well as figuratively speaking).
We believe, for many diverse and fabulous reasons, that independent arts (in all its disciplines) is important to our local culture and that we have many amazing talents just waiting to be exploited. Over the years, different groups have thought similar things and tried to bring artful, creative, and lively ventures to the Valley but for one reason or another nothing ever stuck and the scene continuously waxed and wained. Among the fallen were The Rainbow Room, The Soda Hole, Napa Shakes, and most recently The Smoking Cat Cafe. So, our founders, being young idealists, thought maybe we needed a way to get all the creative folks together for a county-wide support network.
How do we do this? First and foremost, we foster community (ya know, people being friendly and supportive) by and we do things on the cheap to be as accessible as possible.
And, specifically, we put on these programs:
- The Forum: A semi-regular open floor community meeting. Each Forum features an arts related topic with a knowledgeable speaker or panel.
- The InDIYpendent Culture Faire: An annual exposition of do-it-yourself art and culture. A consolidation of all things Wandering Rose admires under one roof.
- Gatherings: Monthly, on Thursday nights come out to meet new people, share fliers, and kick it with the artsy kids.
- WR Alternative Arts Directory: A public roster of Wandering Rose members, creative folks willing to collaborate and volunteer for events and artistic ventures. 2011 Directory coming soon!
- The List: The indie culture calendar for Napa and the North Bay. Check out what's going on and add your events!
- The Guide: Cheap and free resources to help you do what you need to do from tips for putting on an event to where to find supplies for your next piece. Something we're missing? Add your resource here!
- Production Listserve: Members of Wandering Rose have the option to join an email listserve which allows you to easily send and receive communications to the group on arts opportunities, news, and questions.
- This here website: News, blogs, a forum, and other wonderful information dedicated to facilitating communication for Napa arts.